Thursday, October 16, 2008

Been awhile



Apologies to Family and Friends that read my blog, I have totally neglected writing on it as have been so busy with work, cricket and social life.

So where to begin??? well after New Zealand My Brother came to visit, I went to the AFL Grand Final, started the season with Prahran CC, visited Port Moresby and worked with the PNG team, flew to Cairns and am currently writing this from the Qantas club at Brisbane airport on my way back to Melbourne.

Brother in Town - I was lucky enough to have my Brother pass Melbourne for 24 hours on his way to Sydney for a nerdy computer conference... haha only jokes Miles. Was great to see him and have a family member in my new home town.

We did the usual things like tour the city, Bridge Rd (More on that soon), St Kilda, my office, a gay bar and the 'G' as Miles now calls it. Oh wooooooops I mentioned the gay bar, well basically been new myself and showing my brother around we visited a local gay bar, not intended nor did I know.

We had gone for a few afternoon beers when I or we decided to visit a bar across the road from where we were, Miles had mentioned as we finished the last few sips that the decor was quote 'Very interesting and a little weird' I then also noticed a locked room and many 'couples' of the same sex.

It did not take us long to get out of there and off home I can assure you.

Bridge road - well I have known about this as one of the best stretches of shopping in Australia and we went along to have a look. Miles then decided to check some suits out and to my surprise there was suits for $30.00 yes 30 bucks Aussie... Unbelievable so I bought myself one and it is still in one piece.

We also had a chance to look at the MCG just days before it would be packed of 100,000 screaming footy fans.

AFL Grand Final - What a game and an experience, nothing beats been at a AFL Grand Final and I'm lucky this has been my second. Unfortunately this time the Coasters didn't make it but all in all it was great to see a competitive game

Prahran CC - After much deliberating I have decided to pull the boots on again and play for a premier league side Prahran Cricket Club, rich in tradition and famous for the players it has produced.

I have taken on the role as captain and assistant coach, this is great as I miss not having a game and to be involved in a club like Prahran is fantastic. How did I land here you ask? well a good friend called David Hussey plays here, another mate from Perth Mark Selth did play for them, my great great grandfather built and lived only 300 meters from the ground and I met the coach whilst doing my level 3 coaching course a few years back.

Amazing to see that with all the Burke's that have lived in the area I'm the only one to ever play for the club. If you get bored and want to check how we are going then click onto the link

Port Moresby - Well it was once again time to visit our best performed Associate country in PNG as they prepare for their assault at Division 3 of the Pepsi World Cricket League. For those unsure of the cricket structure this is where all the top countries below full test nations compete to earn the rite to play in the 2011 World Cup.

PNG are one of the favourites to win Division 3 which will mean they are only another step away from qualifying for the 2011 World Cup, if you are interested in finding a little more about this and view pictures take a look at this site

Unfortunately Fiji, who are the regions second ranked country had a tough divison 4 finishing second last and will now be starting in division 5 next time.

The week in PNG was again tough, definitely not a tourist city and the country is a very good wake up call to how we live in Australia and how blessed we are to even just have a house and food.

I stayed from Sunday till Friday and spent 4 full days with the national squad and worked them extremely hard in hot, humid and tough conditions. The side looks good and are playing good cricket, they only lack self discipline and some cricket education that we as Australia cricketers take for granted playing against good teams and quality facilities. Division 3 is played in Argentina in mid January 2009.

During my time I heard the unfortunate story that Gayan (AYAD volunteer from Melbourne) had been held at gun point as some locals tried to car jack him, the poor young man is still shaken which is not surprising. To add to this he also had a severe virus which kept him sick in bed for a few days, this is only his third week in the country but he still seems up beat.

Whilst in PNG I only ever really see the cricket ground (Amini Park) and the hotel (Gateway) as it is a little dangerous to walk by yourself. I did enjoy a few meals away from the hotel with the General manager of PNG Cricket as well as a look at a local night club called 'Shooters' which surprisingly was not too bad and the locals seemed friendly enough.

I also got to meet some of the PNG rugby league players as they stayed in the hotel in preparation for the league World Cup in Australia which kicks of here in Brisbane in about a weeks time.

On my way home I had a stop over in Cairns for a few hours which was nice as have never been there before. Did not get much of a chance to look around but seems like a great place and similar to one of my favourite destinations in Broome. I will certainly be stopping over next time.

Brisbane - Well a quick flight from Melbourne to Brisbane and I land in at Cricket Australia's Centre of Excellence, this is where the majority of talented cricketers get the chance to have the best facilities and coaches in the world in their quest to one day wear the baggy green or at least their state colours.

I have been to a few academy's including when the Australia one was in Adelaide but this is by far the most impressive and just oozes talented coaches and a honour role of past scholarship holders that would make the West indies of old shake in their boots.

For those that don't know it was started by Rod Marsh (Aussie Wicketkeeper) and has had the likes of Ponting, Lee, Warne, McGrath, Martyn and some new faces to the Aussie team in both Hussey's, Casson, Marsh and Haddin.

So the reason I'm here is we (ICC) invest just under $100,000 AUS to take our best 30players from their countries over two weeks to attend the camp under my guidance and using the CoE coaches to assist in the development of these inspiring young international cricketers... Did I say young? well some are a few years older than me, so now I'm sounding like a cricket coach.

I also met with QLD cricket as they assist PNG as well as a gentleman by the name of Brad Murphy who runs his own cricket academy for overseas visitors.

So has been a busy day and as I sit here waiting to be called to board I also know I have very limited sleep tonight as have a four day conference starting on Saturday for all our ten developing member countries. Exciting because we get to see them all and talk about the great, the hard and the amazing work they and we all do, but stressful as so many things to still plan and deliver.

Again thanks for checking in and I hope that I add something that makes my entries interesting.

Pictures - PNG team at Ela Beach in Port Moresby for some fitness

No comments: